Monday, April 28, 2014

Fuji Day Three

Camping a lake Shoji was about the same conditions as before. Another hiker an I left at the same time from camp. We are both going to Lake Motosu, so we talk along the way. He is going up the mountain there (pictured below) over along the ridges for a total of two eight hour days of hiking. I ask what was the longest he had ever hiked? "14 hours one time. I started at 1am" he says. Crazy. He works at Narita airport so maybe I will see him again to hear about his hike.

I was going to camp again The blisters on my feet are bad, there is nothing here, and there is only one bus out if here that only comes four times a day. I decide it is time to head a long way to Mishima and get a hotel. The bus I need for Kyoto leaves from Mishima and cannot miss it.

When I finally get to Mishima I am starving. I need a lot of food for cheap. What is the best place? Denny's of course, and Japan has them. Chicken fried steak I can't wait. Well no actually. Denny's is totally different in Japan, it is not the cheap crap hole we are used to. Not only is there no chicken fried steak, there is no grand slam breakfast, just average meals that aren't that cheap. A Denny's menu with no grand slam? Unthinkable. They most likely have it in the morning, but it's probably more of a base hit. I order based on high weight to low price as that is the true American way. I end up with a hamburger paddy on rice covered in cheese and curry something. It was OK. On the way to the Denny's I ran into a big shrine which was cool. A shower and bed wait for me at the hotel.

Lake Motosu and the moutian for the hiker will trek.





A bunch of deer at the shrine for some reason.
A hunters dream.
Men feed the large Koi.

2 comments:

  1. Wow Ryan! That was an amazing trek through the Japanese wilderness. When I think of Japan, my first thought of all the big urban areas and all the people. But gosh these outdoor areas you've been to have been incredible. Keep up the great work on this blog.

    ReplyDelete