Sunday, April 20, 2014

Ueno Park Tokyo

I am finally done with the farm and back to traveling. It was a lot of work, but gave me time to plan ahead. I took the train back into Tokyo, which was about two hours. The trains in Japan are so much better than anything in the US. All the trains run on time, are clean, and even the subway cars have fabric seats. I had time to kill so I checked out the nearby park next to the station I needed. It was good timing as there was a some small festival going on. They bang these big drums and people carry shrines on wood beams. The people in the middle carry the shrine and the ones on the sides rock it back and forth like a seesaw. It looked grueling, but they can switch out with other people. Ueno is a big park with a lot of shrines, museums, and a zoo. After the park I ended up in a crowded shopping area that is under the train trakes. The buildings were build into the train platform and connect in some places like a mini mall. I didn't last long there as it was too crowded.

I gave up staying in the hostels here from the first time, because they are all fully booked and not really that cheap. So now I am trying Airbrb, which a website were people rent out their rooms lile a hotel and is cheaper than anything I have seen. I am staying a with a very nice couple who took me out for Korean food when I arrived. The husband and I got drunk later in the night, so already better than any hotel.








Some street performers.
Then she upgraded to a table and spun it around.








Inside Ueno station.


2 comments:

  1. Holy crap!!! That's some talented foot juggling!! Great idea to try air bnb! Such an awesome site

    ReplyDelete
  2. Parks are so beautiful. Happy hangover. Love MOM

    ReplyDelete