Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Nijo Castle

I arrived in Kyoto and had a lot of time to kill. Next to the place I was scheduled to stay was Niko Castle the palace of the Shogun at one time. A big place, they let you walk inside the palace (no shoes and pictures), but all the rooms were empty. The focus were the painted panels in each room, unfortunately they were all reproductions.

The place I am staying at is called Jam House a bar and restaraunt that is attempting a hostel on two other floors. The restaurant was randomly closed so there was trouble checking in. I wandered to a huge nearby park to kill more time. The inside of the place is put together with spare wood, with the quality that of children making a tree fort. They used screws for the wood floors and they are not flush. A carpenter would have a fit here. When I got in a bunch of Brit's left so I had the whole floor to myself last night. Nice.

The beer in Japan has been... Meh, so time for something else. Last night I remembered I have never had sake. Better time than any, so I look around. I ended up at Sake Bar Yoramu. A small place run by a guy from Israel who came here on a whim 30 years ago. I tell him I never had sake, so he poor's me three different kind to find out what I might like From clear and sweet to more golden and less sweet. I liked the first one the least and the last one the best. I order pasta on the menu and gives me a free shot of sake, because this one complements the food. A really awesome find.


The inner palace.




The ground is all moss.






Jam House or more like building code violation house.

2 comments:

  1. Your pictures are awesome. Jam House looks interesting at best. Let us know how the bar restaurant downstairs compares to upstairs.Love MOM xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything looks beautiful. Well, except for the Jam House...

    ReplyDelete