Sunday, May 25, 2014

Lucky Camera

I lost my beloved camera the other day in Nagoya. That sucked, but I'm in Shinjuku Tokyo now, a huge shopping area. I read it is the best place to shop for electronic's in Japan and even better for a camera. To make matters more complicated though, I need to find the exact model that is now completly old tech wise. Back home I have a deep water encloser for under water pictures that only fits that camera, and that thing ain't cheap.

I was disappointed with Shinjuku honestly. Besides clothing stores, there are only big name department stores all selling the same new models as any other place in Japan. I guess a good place to buy the latest stuff. I needed a camera only store with a guy sitting on old stock for any hope to find my camera. I walk all over, then search Google maps. Only one place comes up that looks promising. Lucky Camera, and the website says he buys and sells old film cameras. The only place so far I might have a chance of finding what I want. On the way there I pass the first camera specific store have seen. With Nikon logos all over it looks like a Nikon store. Inside there it is though, the old Olympus E-PL1 in cherry red 17000 yen ($166 abouts). I'm ready to buy it, but this wasn't Lucky Camera. I should go see what he has before I buy, maybe they have one cheaper than here. So I end up at Lucky camera that is down the block, and would you know it, right in the window for 16800 yen there it is a E-PL1 S. Wait. Why is there an S? It looks exactly the same as my lost one, but there is that S, mine didn't have an S. I've never heard of the model. I look online and find out it is a slightly upgraded version, with a better lense, battery, iso stuff, and it only came out in Japan. So yeah I got it. Lucky Camera lived up to its name for me.

While looking around for dinner I find out It was apparently a festival day. I've always wanted to go to a Japanese festival thing. They are usually always the same no matter were you are in Japan. People gather at the shrine and there are lots of booths selling food and carnival type games for kids. A Japanese version of a carnival in a way. 

I'll never let you go I promise!
Even though it was released only in Japan, I managed to set it up in English.
That's the mini lense I had to re-buy next to it.
Oh yeah I was at the planetarium to kill time in Nagoya
I'm not really sure I've been to one before.
This was one of the largest in the world apparently.
A man juggles a tea cup with an umbrella.

Goldfish catching game. A must have at any Japanese festival.
You try to catch the fish with a circle of wire covered tight with paper.
The paper gets wet and easily breaks under the fishes weight so the game takes skill.

I don't know what it is, but it was good.



4 comments:

  1. That's awesome! Tie this one to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If your going to lose your camera (twice), it better be in Japan. Good shopping. Maybe you can find an old 'chubby' guy to hold your camera when you sit down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you found it. I suppose you will glue it to you. At least it was an upgrade. Looks like a fun festival. Love MOM xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for Lucky Camera! That'll be an awesome memento.

    ReplyDelete