Thursday, May 29, 2014

Camping in Tokyo

No I wasn't being a bum in a park, there is an actual campsite in Tokyo on the bay. I had a lot of time to kill so I want to Kasai Rinkai Park, which is next door to the Tokyo Disney Land. I didn't have any desire to see Disney Land. Surprisingly it looked like they had all the same rides as the one in California. I was planning on seeing the aquarium in the park, but it was closed on the one day I am there. It's a nice park and I my comeback for night pictures of the gaint ferris wheel.

In the afternoon I get out of the park and takw the train one stop over. The park and camp ground is on a huge man made land mass. The area was all industrial, with a golf course, and shipping trucks driving all over. I had and hour walk to gett all the way down to the park and campsite at the end. As a walk there is a single huge wind turbine in the distance that I know is at the park. I was so hungry and tired, the wind turbine slowly got bigger and bigger. I finally made it to the park and ate dinner under the giant turbine silently turning in the wind.

The campsite is at the very over looking the ocean. Camping is a loose term here, as you can see in the pictures it is next to a highway bridge. People come here to pretend to camp. I saw a guy spend a lot of time putting up a tent, take it down, then and leave. Maybe he was practicing. Planes flews over constantly, making their decent into the airport. A construction crew worked on the other side of the trees behind me until nightfall and I wake up to their noisy jackhammer in the morning. This feels more like a place for people to feel homeless for a night than an actual camp ground.

Japan sure does have a lot of ferris wheels. This one was the biggest so far.


You can see the wind turbine in the distance, my destination later on.



My final and most remote campsite.

Tokyo on the other side of the bay.



Long exposure showing the planes landing flight path.

No comments:

Post a Comment